Blinky Palermo

Blinky Palermo: Retrospective 1964–1977

at Dia:Beacon and CCS Bard June 25, 2011 - October 31, 2011

<p>Installation view of "Blinky Palermo: Retrospective 1964–1977" at CCS Bard. <br>Photo by Bill Jacobson.</p>

Installation view of "Blinky Palermo: Retrospective 1964–1977" at CCS Bard.
Photo by Bill Jacobson.

 
 
 

Recipient of the renowned AICA-USA Award for Best Monographic Museum Show Nationally.
Blinky Palermo: Retrospective 1964–1977 is available at www.diabooks.org.

 

Artist Biography

Blinky Palermo was born Peter Schwarze in Leipzig in 1943. He and his twin brother, Michael, grew up as adopted children under the name Heisterkamp. In 1962, he entered the Kunstakademie Düsseldorf, where he studied with Bruno Goller and then with Joseph Beuys and, in 1964, adopted the name Blinky Palermo, which he appropriated from the American boxing promoter-cum-mafioso Frank “Blinky” Palermo, famous for being the manager of heavyweight champion Sonny Liston. In 1968, Palermo showed his wall drawings at the Galerie Heiner Friedrich, Munich. After visiting New York with Gerhard Richter in 1970, he established a studio there in 1973. Palermo died in 1977, while traveling in the Maldives. The Times of the Day series (1974–76) was first shown at the Heiner Friedrich Gallery, New York, in summer 1978. Before his death, Palermo partici- pated in more than seventy exhibitions and represented Germany at the São Paulo Bienal in 1975. He has had posthumous retrospectives at the Kunstmuseum Winterthur, Switzerland (1984); the Kunstmuseum Bonn (1993); Museu d’Art Contemporani de Barcelona (MACBA) (2002–3); the Kunsthalle Düsseldorf (2007–8); and Dia:Beacon and the Center for Curatorial Studies at Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, New York (CCS Bard) (2011).

 
Bookmark and Share