"European Couples, and Others: Works by Dan Flavin," opens at Dia Center for the Arts on September 14, 1995. The exhibition focuses on Flavin's fluorescent light sculptures from the Minimalist period of the late sixties and early seventies. All
are works from Dia's permanent collection.
The core of the exhibition is a series of corner pieces dedicated to specific European couples, which have not been previously exhibited. These eight works were executed between 1966-1971, and cover a rainbow of colors including pink, yellow and blue as well as daylight, cool, and warm shades of white.
Among the other works to be shown are three collectively known as "monuments" for V. Tatlin, 1964-1968, dedicated to the Russian Constructivist artist-designer Vladimir Tatlin (1885-1953), as well as Untitled (to a man, George McGovern), 1972, monument 4 those who have been killed in ambush (to P.K. who reminded me about death.), 1966, and Untitled (to the real Dan Hill) 1b, 1978.
Dan Flavin was born in 1933, New York City, where he later studied art history at the New School for Social Research. He has been exhibiting nationally and internationally since 1963, beginning with "diagonal of personal ecstasy", (the diagonal of May 25, 1963), his first fluorescent piece, a single eight-foot tube that he compared to Constantin Brancusi's masterpiece, the Endless Column. In 1969 he had his first major museum show "fluorescent light, etc. from Dan Flavin," organized by the National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Canada. The exhibition traveled to the Vancouver Art Gallery, Vancouver, and The Jewish Museum in New York City. In 1992 Flavin created an installation for the reopening of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York. He lives and works in Wainscott, New York.
In 1983, Dia Center for the Arts opened The Dan Flavin Art Institute in Bridgehampton, a permanent exhibition of his works, designed by the artist in a converted firehouse, which is permanently maintained by Dia and open to the public each summer.
The exhibition of Dan Flavin's works will be on view at Dia Center for the Arts, 548 West 22nd Street through June 1996. Hours are Thursday through Sunday, 12 noon to 6 p.m.
Support for this exhibition has been provided by the members of the Dia Art Council, the major annual support group of Dia Center for the Arts, and the Dia Art Circle. In-kind assistance has been generously provided by Philips Lighting Company.
The Guggenhiem Museum SoHo, will show Dan Flavin, works from its permanent collection, from September 13 through November 30, 1995. For information please call (212) 423-3500.
* * *
For additional information or materials contact:
Press Department, Dia Art Foundation, email@example.com or 212 293 5518