Dia:Beacon, Part-Time Gallery Attendant
Located in Beacon, New York, Dia:Beacon presents Dia Art Foundation’s renowned collection of art from the 1960s to the present as well as special exhibitions, new commissions, and public programs. Occupying a former box-printing factory on the banks of the Hudson River, the contemporary art museum spans nearly 300,000 square feet and welcomes more than 100,000 visitors a year.
Dia:Beacon seeks a part-time Gallery Attendant to work 3–4 days a week including weekends and most holidays. This is a year-round position, but the work hours will fluctuate seasonally based on the museum’s hours of operation.
The Part-Time Gallery Attendant is responsible for providing a positive, professional, and safe environment for Dia:Beacon visitors to explore the collection. The position requires teamwork and knowledge of Dia:Beacon’s collection as well as Dia Art Foundation’s history, mission, and sites. The Part-Time Gallery Attendant enforces rules and regulations as necessary to assist visitors and protect the collection.
• Monitor visitor interactions with the collection and facility; assist and guide the public
• Communicate effectively about the collection, the facility, and Dia’s history, mission, and sites
• Provide museum information, membership information, coat/bag check assistance, and general information about Beacon, Dutchess County, and other cultural locations in the Hudson Valley
•Engage with visitors during assigned shifts to proactively sell museum memberships and conduct visitor experience surveys
• Monitor all safety regulations and demonstrate ability to assist in case of an emergency; attend Dia:Beacon’s Emergency Action Plan training, fire drills, and First Aid/CPR/Heart-Saver classes
• Assist with special events and programming; help Visitor Services Managers with VIP visits as needed
• Coordinate and perform light maintenance of the building and grounds prior to, during, and after public hours
• College-level credits or degree in an arts field preferred
• Superb customer service skills and experience working with the public required
• Knowledge of Dia Art Foundation’s history, mission, and sites preferred
• Must have the ability to work independently
• Requires prolonged periods of standing and walking around within the gallery space
Part-time employees are eligible for paid sick days, paid time off in lieu of holidays worked, and participation in the 401(k) savings program with company match. Employees have the opportunity to learn about the collections through presentations by curators, artists, writers, and historians. Staff ID badges gain reduced or free admission to most American museums and arts organizations. Beacon area or Hudson Valley residency preferred.
For consideration, please e-mail a letter of interest and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls or e-mails to addresses other than the one specified.
Previous applicants need not apply.
DEADLINE: open until filled
Dia Art Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.