Part-Time Bookshop Attendant, Dia:Beacon
Located in Beacon, New York, Dia:Beacon presents Dia Art Foundation’s renowned collection of art from the 1960s to the present as well as special exhibitions, new commissions, and public programs. Occupying a former box-printing factory on the banks of the Hudson River, the contemporary art museum spans nearly 300,000 square feet and welcomes more than 100,000 visitors a year.
Dia:Beacon seeks a part-time Bookshop Attendant to work 3–4 days per week for approximately 20 hours per week. Regular work days include part-time shifts on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and on holidays.
Reporting to the Bookshop Manager, the part-time Bookshop Attendant will assist with the daily operations of the bookshop and its extensive inventory along with ensuring a positive visitor experience through excellent customer service and sales.
- Assist with daily store operations, sales, and opening and closing procedures
- Maintain extensive knowledge of inventory
- Assist with inventory management, including assisting annual inventory count
- Assist with loss-prevention
- Create a visitor friendly atmosphere, facilitate sales, operate point-of-sales systems
- Maintain physical appearance of the store and surrounding areas
- Assist with store merchandising
- Answer the bookshop telephone extension, and answer or field all questions
- Provide accurate information about Dia history, Dia sites, programming, and policies
- Provide membership information
- Assist all departments with programming and fundraising events
- Perform special projects, as needed
- College level credits or degree in an arts field preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Experience with point-of-sales systems and proficient cash handling
- Must quickly gain knowledge of Dia's history, mission, sites and collection
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Hudson Valley to assist visitors with regional information
Part-time employees are eligible for paid sick days, paid time off in lieu of holidays worked, and participation in the 401(k) savings program with company match. Employees have the opportunity to learn about Dia’s collections and sites through presentations by artists, curators, historians, and writers. Staff ID badges gain reduced or free admission to most American museums and arts organizations.
For consideration, please e-mail a letter of interest and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “PT Bookshop Attendant” as the e-mail subject heading. No phone calls or e-mails to addresses other than the one specified. Employment references will be requested and offer of employment is contingent on a successful background check.
Deadline: open until filled
Dia Art Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.