Friday–Sunday, 12–6 pm
Closed 3–3:30 pm daily
Closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day
Admission is free
Timed tickets are available to the public here.
Photography is not permitted.
The New York Earth Room has additional health and safety protocols in place due to COVID-19. For more information please read our visitor guidelines.
Visiting The New York Earth Room
One party will be admitted at a time with a maximum of four visitors per party. Reservations guarantee admission with a timed ticket. A limited number of walk-ins are available if time and space permit.
Visitors are asked to refrain from entering if, over the last fourteen days, they have had symptoms of or tested positive with COVID-19 or been in close contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19. Visitors to New York State who have traveled from noncontiguous states must have completed a Travel Health Form online and complied with the mandatory 10-day quarantine (per the New York State COVID-19 Travel Advisory).
- Be considerate of fellow visitors and staff
- Face covering required for all visitors over the age of two
- Social distancing is required; social-distancing markers are in place at the visitor entrance
- No food or beverages permitted in the galleries
- No large bags permitted in the galleries
- High-touch surfaces are cleaned throughout the day following CDC guidelines
- Use of hand sanitizer is required upon entry
- Visitors should practice good hygiene by coughing or sneezing into their elbows; tissues should be disposed of immediately; please wash hands for at least twenty seconds
- A no-touch or low-touch visitor experience will be provided; artist information is available online via QR codes and entry doors opened by staff or propped open
- Staff is required to pass a health monitoring questionnaire each day prior to coming on-site and is required to wear face coverings within Dia's spaces
- Dia will cooperate with local and state authorities to provide contact information as required for contact tracing
In the interest of your personal safety and the community’s health, Dia requires that all visitors observe the precautions listed above. We reserve the right to request that visitors who are not following these guidelines leave the premises.
An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. By visiting Dia’s sites, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
Walter De Maria
Walter De Maria was born in Albany, California, in 1935. He died in Los Angeles in 2013.
Artists on Walter De Maria
Artists on Walter De Maria is the second installment in a series culled from Dia Art Foundation’s Artists on Artists lectures, focused on the work of artist Walter De Maria. It features contributions from Richard Aldrich, Jeanne Dunning, Guillermo Faivovich and Nicolás Goldberg, and Terry Winters.
Walter De Maria: The New York Earth Room Poster
Full-color offset poster Created to celebrate the public opening of Walter De Maria’s The New York Earth Room on January 1, 1980.