Dia Art Foundation was established in 1974 for the purpose of collecting, commissioning, and presenting major works of art made in the 1960s onward. Today it consists of eight permanent sites across the United States and Germany, as well as three changing exhibition spaces in New York State: Dia Chelsea in New York City, Dia Beacon in the Hudson Valley, and Dia Bridgehampton on Long Island. Dia is taken from the Greek word for “through” and conveys the foundation’s role as a facilitator of meaningful artistic experiences that can be encountered in single and repeated visits.
The Custodian (part-time) is part of the Dia Chelsea Facilities Department and is supervised by the Facilities Manager. This position cleans and maintains the facility’s gallery and office spaces and performs handyman duties. This position is scheduled for 20 hours per week: Thursday and Friday 11:00am-5:00 pm and Saturday 11:00 am-6:00 pm. The schedule will vary to provide coverage for evening events.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Clean and maintain the facility including floors, carpets, walls, equipment, offices, kitchens, public spaces, conference rooms, classrooms, corridors, entrances, exterior walkways and building fixtures.
- Service and clean restrooms
- Provide restrooms with soap, paper products and other necessary supplies
- Tidy and clean pantries and staff break rooms
- Collect and dispose of trash and other wastes
- Collect, separate and dispose of recyclable materials
- Remove snow from sidewalks and near street using snow blowers and snow shovels and spread snow melting chemicals
- Move heavy furniture, equipment and supplies, either manually or by using hand trucks, J bars and dollies
- Clean and maintain equipment after use
- Under the guidance of the Facilities Manager, performs handyman tasks such as painting, light carpentry and repairs.
- Complete work orders in a timely manner and document all work performed
- Set up and break down event and meeting space to include loading, unloading, moving and arranging tables, chairs and/or equipment.
- Safely use, operate and maintain equipment required for the job including pallet jacks, ladders, scaffolding and other miscellaneous equipment.
- Notify managers concerning the need for re-stocking supplies, safety issues and maintenance repairs
- Some schedule flexibility for evening events or shifts on other days to cover the Building Associate’s time off.
- Maintain compliance with all local, state, and federal ordinances and codes relevant to the job. Participate in all mandatory training related to safety and emergency procedures.
- Perform related work as required or as requested by the supervisor.
Education, Certification, Experience:
- Prior experience with the essential functions of the position required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Must have the ability to read labels, follow instructions and use cleaning equipment and products in the prescribed manner
- Must be able to stay alert to potential safety and security problems
- Must be able to work independently as well as with other team members
- Must be able to work professionally and congenially among office staff as well as with the museum visitors
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- The employee in this position is required to spend 100% of his/her work time walking and moving around the workplace to complete duties.
- Physical activities include pushing power-cleaning equipment, using hand tools and cleaning equipment, bending, stooping, climbing, reaching and lifting on a frequent basis
Please note that to provide a safe workplace free of recognized hazards and to take every possible step to reduce the transmission of COVID among our employees, Dia Art Foundation requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, except for those who obtain an exemption due to a medical condition, a religious belief, or pregnancy.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply by emailing a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “PT Custodian” as the subject heading.
Part-time employees are eligible for paid sick days, paid time off in lieu of holidays worked, and participation in the 401(k) savings program with company match. Employees have the opportunity to learn about the collections through presentations by curators, artists, writers, and historians. Staff ID badges gain reduced or free admission to most American museums and arts organizations.
Dia Art Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, national origin, ethnic origin, citizenship status, disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in its employment policies. In addition, Dia will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and supports a neurodiverse workplace.